D&D Live has kicked off and, like every year, new details have come to (witch)light about the big upcoming releases from Wizards of the Coast and Dungeons & Dragons. In addition to some extremely cool liveplays hosted by our friends Amy Vorpahl and Beadle & Grimm’s, the D&D team announced the new book coming this fall as well as more info on the big adventure for 2021: The Wilds Beyond The Witchlight.
Entering The Feywild
While we got some inkling when it was announced, the deep dive into Wilds revealed a ton of new material.
The Wild Beyond the Witchlight takes adventurers from the Witchlight Carnival to Prismeer, a Feywild domain of delight, and is designed for characters of levels 1–8. This book comes with a poster map that shows the carnival on one side and Prismeer on the other.
- Explore the Plane of Faerie in the first official D&D adventure set primarily in the Feywild.
- The adventure begins on a campaign world of the DM’s choice. The Witchlight Carnival, which serves as the means by which the characters enter the Feywild, can be dropped easily into any campaign setting.
- Adds two new character backgrounds: the Feylost (for characters who grew up in the Feywild) and the Witchlight Hand (for characters who work at the Witchlight Carnival).
- Introduces two races—play as a fairy or as a harengon, a race of humanoid rabbits.
- All encounters in the adventure include a non-combat option, allowing players to think and roleplay their way through the adventure if they wish.
- Classic 1980s Dungeons & Dragons characters return, including Warduke, Strongheart, and Kelek.
They’ve also announced some new accessories for the release, part of their Dice & Miscellany line, which include
- 11 premium dice (two d20s, one d12, two d10s, one d8, four d6s, one d4)
- Durable, felt-lined box that doubles as two dice trays
- A beautifully illustrated, double-sided player-friendly foldout map with the Witchlight Carnival on one side and carnival concept art on the other
- 19 double-sided reference cards with descriptions and illustrations of characters, creatures, games, and other features of the Witchlight Carnival
Here Be Dragons
The bigger announcement last night was Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons, the other big book of the year releasing on 19th October, 2021. The new book will expand the world of dragons further than ever before, with new types to see and brand new class and race options for players who want to get in touch with their inner draco.
Dragonslayers and dragon scholars alike will appreciate the new dragon-themed options for players eager to harness the power of dragon magic and create unique and memorable draconic characters. Dungeon Masters will discover a rich hoard of new tools and information for designing dragon-themed encounters, adventures, and campaigns. Discover a host of new dragons and other creatures. Learn about the lairs and hoards of each type of dragon, and how hoards focus the magic that suffuses dragons and connects them to the myriad worlds of the Material Plane. Discover everything there is to know about the most iconic monsters of D&D with help from Fizban, your expert advisor on dragonkind!
- Introduces gem dragons to fifth edition!
- Reveals the story of the First World and the role Bahamut and Tiamat played in its creation and destruction.
- Adds new player character options, including unique draconic ancestries for dragonborn, dragon-themed subclasses for monks and rangers, and new feat and spell options.
- Offers everything a Dungeon Master needs to craft adventures inspired by dragons across the worlds of D&D, with new dragon lair maps and details on 20 different kinds of dragons.
- Presents a complete dragon bestiary and introduces a variety of new dragons and dragon-related creatures, including aspects of the dragon gods, dragon minions, and more.
There’s still plenty to come, as well as some fun stuff brewing over at Beadle & Grimm’s, and you can keep an eye on The Fandomentals for all the details!
Images via Dungeons & Dragons and Wizards of the Coast
Have strong thoughts about this piece you need to share? Or maybe there’s something else on your mind you’re wanting to talk about with fellow Fandomentals? Head on over to our Community server to join in the conversation!